Friday 4 November 2016

Reference Imagery - Venice


Statues

When deciding to concentrate the imagery for my book on Venetian architecture, objects, etc. I thought why not dig out some of the photographs I took when working in Italy this Summer. 

Windows

Wandering around the streets I saw so many beautiful windows - a lot of them with shutters and little balconies.


Venetian Masks

These were my favourite things I saw in and around Venice. So many shops selling crazy detailed masks in all sorts of sizes and shapes, the detail within the boutiques were over-whelming! I also saw some amazing masks and costumes when I went to see an Opera in the city. I want my concertina to represent the atmosphere I felt when I was there, the attention to detail and craftsmanship is something I noticed a lot. This also translates to the themes within Shakespearean plays, a lot of which are set in Italy.

Costume
As with the masks, all the traditional costumes I saw were very intricate, patterned and colourful - something I want to play around with in my work for this project.


Busts
I really like character, so including busts in my work may be a nice way of introducing them into the composition. I saw so many in Italy, it makes me wonder who these people were - they must be important enough to have had busts made of them!


Architecture
The architecture in Italy speaks for itself - especially in Venice. Every corner looks like it belongs in an oil painting, so beautiful! I wish I could capture even a tiny amount of its charm. In particular, I am interested in including imagery of some of the pillars I saw.



Arches
In the hostel I stayed in (Venice) I noticed some really nice architecture, in particular the archways and textures of the walls. Also, even the little houses were so charming - shutters on windows and street signs - not forgetting the dog admiring the views!

No comments:

Post a Comment