Monday 14 March 2016

OUIL404 End of Module Evaluation

1. Which practical skills and methodologies have you developed within this module and how effectively do you think you are employing them into your own practice?
  • This module as a whole has helped me greatly with experimentation and how I approach projects. In particular, using shape and more recently, composition has greatly informed my practice - especially in the book project, gifs and vectors.
  • It has been a bit of a love/hate relationship as I used to think it just got in the way of studio briefs, but I have really started to notice the benefits and a difference in the way I approach tasks in response to these sessions.
  • Learning to organise my time between all the different modules and to blog as I go along - like a diary, to record, reflect and evaluate fresh thoughts of what I have learned to myself throughout the day.
2. Which principles/theories of image making have you found most valuable during this module and how effectively do you think you are employing these within your own practice?
  • Drawing through ideas and not worrying about what it looks like has been something I learned and am becoming more comfortable with during this module. To start with I was very much concerned with the aesthetic and technical ability shown within my work - now I am trying to focus more on ideas, concepts and feelings I can combine with my existing skills.
  • Working within a frame and cropping imagery to fit that frame is something I am getting used and doing more often since the sessions.
3. What strengths can you identity within your Visual Language submission, and how can you capitalise on these?
  • Roughing is something I have learned helps me a lot with making sense of ideas and how I can compose an image effectively. This process has been particularly helpful when working fairly quickly, especially in workshops.
  • To generally be more explorative with media and open my mind to different ways of working - I am genuinely excited by the things I have learned and understood about how we can portray an idea/feeling and feel prepared for the next phase.
4. What areas for development can you identify within your Visual Language submission and how will address these in the future?
  • I think I could have spent more time with the tasks set in this module, especially towards the end. Studio briefs always seemed to take priority over work set so sometimes I felt a bit rushed. In future, I will remember to dedicate specific time rather than just trying to get it over and done with - although this way of thinking has helped me with not being so concerned with detail of an image.
  • This may sound silly but the hardback A3 sketchbook was fairly difficult for me to work with because it was so big and it didn't fit in my bag, so I didn't take it home much which is where I feel like my initial ideas grow - Following this I have found that I prefer to work with an A4 soft sketchbook, I also feel less precious about working in these.
5. In what way has this module informed how you deconstruct and analyse artwork (whether your own or that of contemporary practitioners)?
  • Looking at other practitioners' work has made me reflect on my own work and how I can make it more effective as illustration that speaks to people - not just a pretty picture, but something that can evoke a reaction from an audience.
  • Learning things like line of sight, depth and value has made me realise why certain illustration is successful and this is slowly sinking in, hopefully worming its way into my own practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment