Friday 27 January 2017

Type, Colour & More Roughs


Making Type
Creating my own type face was a bit of a challenge as it is not something I usually consider when making imagery. I referred to an existing font (Baskerville), whilst drawing in my sketchbook, then added extra bits, replicating the detail of branches and making it more interesting.

Colour Scheme
As I have decided to use cut paper as a medium I started to think about colour scheme and the variations of these colours in relation to my ideas so far.


Roughing
I knew I wanted the main design of the book to include some kind of pattern. The tree was a focal point of the book to me when I read it so I wanted to include some of this imagery without being too obvious. Branches seem like the way to go as I can manipulate the shapes really easily to fit all the elements within the frame.


Final Design Idea
As I have a general idea of what I am working towards I will start making and experimenting simultaneously. Sometimes I prefer to work in this way with motifs rather than drawing out thousands of roughs. Especially when working with paper, one of the best things about it is being able to test out where things are being placed before committing to a design. This process makes me feel very playful.

No comments:

Post a Comment