Monday 23 January 2017

Penguin Brief - To Kill a Mockingbird

The Brief - To Kill a Mocking Bird


We would like you to design a new and classic cover for this book. The trick here will be to come at it from a fresh perspective and to avoid repeating the obvious iconography from the many previous editions in print. If you can get your hands on a copy of the book in order to get a sense of the beautiful writing, this will only help to inspire your design. The cover should feel timeless and confident, and appeal to a whole new generation of readers.
Your cover design needs to include all the cover copy supplied and be designed to the specified design template – B format, 198mm high x 129mm wide, spine width 20 mm, incorporating the ARROW branding and all additional elements such as the barcode.
The winning design will need to:

  • have an imaginative concept and original interpretation of the brief
  • be competently executed with strong use of typography
  • appeal to a contemporary readership
  • show a good understanding of the marketplace
  • have a point of difference from the many other book covers it is competing against
When I first read this brief I thought it would be a fairly good one for me as I am already very familiar with the book and enjoyed it very much. I want to treat this as a short project, because I am thinking about tackling a larger one as well as the folio society one at some point. The inclusion of type is something I am looking forward to, as I feel like I haven't had many chances to really embrace this area of my interest yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment