Monday 18 January 2016

What type of Collage?


Digital vs. Analog

Whilst I was experimenting with media I decided to try digital collage. I really liked the mixture of shape and drawn elements, but when I printed a page to see the quality in a physical format the shapes looked really flat. I think this was probably due to the simplicity of the shapes I have used so far. Really hating the lack of authenticity I tried the same technique but actually cutting out shapes from the textures I created with a scalpel.


I much preferred the aesthetic of this technique in print, it feels more authentic and the hints of a drop shadow in places add to the depth of the imagery. At first I was a bit annoyed because I knew I would probably prefer the outcome and a more hands-on approach. However, this is much more time consuming so it has taken me a lot longer to produce imagery to the standard I want. Intricate images are a lot harder because each little bit has to be cut out, scanned in and placed.



No comments:

Post a Comment