Wednesday 6 January 2016

Idea Development

Problems I faced

Having to simplify my ideas was probably the thing I find hardest, to let go of certain stories even if the images lend themselves to working better in a less complicated way. However, I think by constantly tackling these problems I am slowly getting better at working with small ideas and illustrating them in a more obvious way - to an audience. I want it to be obvious what I am trying to say with my picture book and including multiple stories may complicate that. Therefore I am now working to reduce my storyboards down to one strong idea that highlights the bleakness of war.






 

Focus

I swiftly decided to focus on the idea of a little girl (based on my grandmother) and her teddy bear, given to her by her own father - bringing in a sentimental element.

I like the aesthetic of torn paper textures sitting behind more fluid brush and gouache drawings. The chaos of the ink splatters are something I want to include in parts of the final imagery. All these elements together create an interesting combination. I will continue to experiment with this kind of idea as well as working on storyboard ideas, making sure there is a solid plan for me to develop imagery from.

No comments:

Post a Comment