Monday 10 April 2017

Changing Faces

Old Face

New Face

Illustration 1
Because I have been so unhappy with the face I created for the third image, I decided to go back and do some character development on the first one to make it easier to work from for the rest. I much prefer the overall aesthetic of the second image as I think it would appeal to both children and adults. Her expression is also a lot better, less sulky and more in wonderment of the garden.


Old Face - Adapted from Above
Eyes & Mouth are too big...

New Face

Illustration 3
The top two images are what I started experimenting with for the character of Mary, I thought there would be a lack of a connection with someone reading the book if I had used this way of drawing, it's far too naive. For this image, I think having Mary look directly at the viewer could help them to connect to what she is thinking, in this moment she is moody, not happy to be in the room with Lord Craven.

Last minute changes
At first when I changed the face on this one her eyes and mouth looked way too big, something I didn't notice until I zoomed out on the actual image (left). The right image is the same Mary but adapted, I think this one looks a lot better and her expression is more of what I was looking to achieve. I am finally happy with the outcome of this and hopefully after going through this long process it will make drawing the other figures in the book a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment