Sunday 12 March 2017

Initial Roughing from Text (5 & 6)


...'the green veil has covered nearly all the grey'
Page 162

For a while I couldn't decide on the quotes I wanted to focus my imagery on for both of these illustrations. After drawing out a variety of initial ideas (left) I have started to develop a different quote, where Mary is explaining the garden to Colin in his bedroom. I think this could be a good opportunity to play around a bit with narrative within the image, I may include a kind of split image - where half of the composition is based around what Mary is saying, containing brighter imagery of the garden and it's growth, while the other half would be situated in the darker scene of Colin's bedroom.


'He did not walk quickly, but slowly, and his eyes were on the path'
Page 238

Again with this image, I changed the quote to centre around Lord Craven. As he appears earlier in my choice of illustrations, I thought it would be nice to have him as a returning character, still hiding his face. As I decided on this, the idea for an effective composition came to me fairly quickly. Lord Craven walking away from the viewer, including a long shadow and an unconfident stance I think will say a lot about him as a character without giving too much away in the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment