Thursday 23 March 2017

First Complete Digital Test - IL2


This is the first more resolved illustration I have for this project so far. I wanted to continue developing my initial test to have an idea of how I might present my final images, as prints and in context of the book.

Digital Brushes
I am really getting into using digital brushes on Photoshop and I am surprised by how easy they are to use! For such a long time I was afraid to try digital media and thought of it as something that was beyond my skill level. The thing I really enjoy within my work is using the texture of the brush within a shape - which also emulates the style of my analog work.

Composition - Inclusion of Text (Quote)
Although the inclusion of text may not be relevant to the layout of the book, as quotes will be on the opposing pages, I really like this layout for prints. I think it gives the image a bit more context and I see something like this hanging in a bedroom. The audience could include people who enjoy narrative/storytelling, fans of literature and/or children.

Page size/Frame
I think including a border around the edge of each illustration may be a way to frame them, I might end up using full bleed images but I will mock up different layouts before printing.

This example is 17 x 24cm - actual image size
19 x 26cm - frame size (includes 1cm bleed)

Things I may change
For this image, I think the colours are okay. But I want to have variations of the colour scheme in relation to the scene I am illustrating, some images will be brighter and other will reflect the darker tones within the book. I also may change the composition slightly by moving the whole thing up, so there's more carpet in the frame than ceiling - I can then fit the text in a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment