Wednesday 8 March 2017

Initial Roughing from Text (3 & 4)


''This is Miss Mary, sir', she said'
Page 96

These compositions are all variations of one idea. Lord Craven is described as such an isolated, lonely character so one of my aims when illustrating him throughout the book is to never show his face. This will create an air of mystery around him as a presence within the images. In this particular illustration, I want Lord Craven to be sitting away from Mary, who is being introduced to him. An interesting composition could be to include an arm chair, so the only parts of him in view are his legs and the top of his head.


...'Dickon, who was kneeling on the grass working hard'
Page 129

Similarly to my roughs for Illustration 3, I made very little changes between each of the roughs at this stage. Primarily in these compositions, Mary is really the only thing that moves, I couldn't decide whether she should be completely in frame or just peaking around the corner of the door to the garden. I quite like the idea of her being slightly hidden in the background, as the predominant elements in frame should be Dickon and the flowers he is planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment