Tuesday 8 December 2015

Texture - Self Portrait

This has definitely been my favourite Visual Language session so far. It was a very playful and freeing way of working for me to create textures to work with first before worrying about the actual image.



I always get a bit nervous when working with shape and away from reference. But placing the shapes on the page and moving them around was actually a lot of fun. I enjoyed the process of cutting, tearing and gluing a lot. To try and make the portrait look a bit like me I was thinking about the things that define me visually, probably my hair, eyes and eyebrows!

Negative space was definitely something I wanted to include when making my image. I felt that the use of texture/collage was a bit busy if I used it all over the page, therefore I decided to emulate the shapes of my chin, hair line and shoulder using the white space around my face. I still think the final image produced was a bit busy in areas, but in a way I quite like that, it makes it more interesting to look at.


So messy! I felt a bit like I was back in primary school, when we didn't really care about the outcome of my work but had fun playing around with the paints/materials, etc. I like it when a process causes me to remember what made me love art in the first place, being able to express my own visual voice and having a way of projecting my thoughts in my work.


http://todaysinspiration.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/the-art-of-wow-featuring-doris-jackson.html

Following the session, I had a look at the presentation and noted down Doris Jackson's name. I really like her work aesthetically and the use of a speckled texture in this case has been very successful accompanying the line work. Also, the patterns in the background bring a sense of depth to the piece which I admire and would like to experiment with in my own practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment