Sunday 13 December 2015

Roughs

Rough 1



I wanted to use these roughs as an opportunity to experiment with a few different types of media. I am really enjoying using watercolour wash with black gouache over the top, I find that gouache gives a depth and texture that pens or ink do not - want to do more experimentation with gouache in this way. Fits the tone of the narrative.

Rough 2


Giving an emotive tone to the story was something I was very concious of trying to achieve even within the roughs at this stage. I think it has been great practice to get used to telling a story and depicting a certain atmosphere in my work.
Although that was my intention, I am not sure about the readability of my roughs, from my feedback it was evident that the stories were a lot clearer once I had explained them. The second rough was probably the most understandable, and the use of a teddy bear was quite emotive to an audience (my peers).


Rough 3


If I am being honest, the last rough I produced was very quick and I spent much less time on this one, this was because I think I got a bit carried away testing materials and developing ideas for the other two - I don't think this is a bad thing because I feel I learnt a lot about how I wanted to proceed with the project.
The idea behind this rough was based on a quote I found 'we go into battle wearing the key to heaven around our necks', which I found insightful - how soldiers must have felt when going into battle. However, I definitely could have executed this idea in a better way and even combine it with one of my other ideas. For the final book, I will have more pages and room for development/ideas which will be helpful. I also think it will be more interesting/fitting to the brief to focus on ordinary people (rather than soldiers) an their untold experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment