Friday 2 October 2015

Observational Drawing pt.2


All the images that I have chosen to blog about presented there own challenges. I came across a hunting sculpture on the top floor of the Royal Armouries Museum. Instead of drawing the elephant I decided to step out of my comfort zone and focus on the people shooting. I am very comfortable drawing animals and find the proportions of a figure much more difficult to translate.



Observational drawing is one of my favourite parts of Illustration. The study of an object/person/object requires your full attention and this is what I love, nothing else matters in that moment. I feel that I always learn a lot about my subject every time I draw in this way.




Weird Experience

Drawing taxidermy animals was very strange for me. Although I had to look at them in detail, they really do disturb me. Until quite recently I had a serious phobia of them, which I had to work to get over! I was saying to Megan in the Royal Armouries Museum that I went there once when I was a child but didn't see much because I was scared to death of the horses and any animal that basically looked like it should be alive, so I stayed in the cafe. It was a bit odd after telling that story that the next place we visited was the Discovery Centre!

It was good to draw something that would typically be moving around a lot as a stationary object. This meant that I could focus on the textures and pose of the animal without disruption.



I found that drawing the same object repeatedly really helped me to get the sense of shape. Looking at the object more than the page whilst continually drawing made me realise that certain shapes weren't what I thought they were initially.

No comments:

Post a Comment