Saturday 17 October 2015

Typology Poster Week 2

Final theme - A to Z of Animals with Careers


Final poster
  • I re-wrote my A to Z lists of Careers and Animals in order to match them up.
  • Thought of the actions each character could be doing - Humour aspect, very important for the success of the finished image.


Problems I encountered
  • Tried out wash of ink and dip pen over the top, however on a smaller scale I could not get the features I wanted so I tried a red fine liner pen.
  • The first fine liner pen I bought was too light to stand out over the ink so I had to buy a darker red. This worked well and I was able to had the same effect whilst still capturing the detail of the characters.
  • I found it difficult to make it obvious what was happening in the scenario I had set as I didn't want to complicate things by added text within the poster due to the amount of detail already displayed.

Quick overview of final Storyline
  • Escaped Xantus from the zoo, he hides in the stock room.
  • Zoo keeper looking for him.
  • Fire in the kitchen, setting fire alarm off - Chef, baker and Kitchen helper.
  • Policeman investigating fire.
  • Fireman putting out fire - Ambulance, nurse.
  • Van driver and Taxi driver stuck in traffic - Lollipop lady.
  • Electrician trying to turn alarm off.
  • Office worker stuck in the Lift - Mechanic fixing it.
  • Graphic designer, Quality control officer and IT technician in office - Waiter.
  • Unemployed Umbrella bird mistaken for Xantus - questioned by Security guard, Accountant and Youth worker.
  • Journalist turns up at reception about the missing bird.
  • Housekeeper cleaning toilet.
Once I had the rough draft of my Poster I had a chat with Matt. He introduced me to Luke Pearson's work which I have since become a fan of. The way in which he relates each character to another is something I really wanted to achieve in my own work, I wanted it to be exciting and interesting for a viewer to look at.

http://eoleblog.com/2014/06/19/une-nouvelle-selection-daffiches-dessinees-pour-lete/


Rough draft of my final design.


I drew my final design in pencil first in order to get the scale and placement right.
I found the cars in front of the building the most difficult to get the correct size.





I had never used a light box before and at first found the process challenging and slightly frustrating. However, once I got used to the visibility I liked the fact that I could just paint straight onto a guideline without drawing with pencil first. 


What am I happy with?
  • The composition of my final design. I'm happy with my decision to set a scene rather than in a grid format as it tells a story.
  • I didn't want to use black and white however I am normally a bit weary of using colour. Therefore, using pinks and reds was a bit of a risk but one I think paid off.
  • The title/font - Use of the light box really helped to look professional.
Things I would develop further if I could do this again
  • I would do more research on the individual animals, the way they move and what they could be doing in relation to the career and the animals' behaviour.
  • Experimented with more techniques an colours.
  • Tried more of a variety of compositions before settling on a final design.

No comments:

Post a Comment