Friday 30 October 2015

A Day in the Life Week 2

Resolved Images

1


2


3


Image 1

After resolving image 2 I repeated the process of drawing elements on different pieces of paper. I found that I was repeating drawings of the same thing, this was so I had options as to what position would be suitable.



Image 2

I found that whilst designing the second image it was going to be a lot easier to draw each character separately and then scan them in on the computer. This way I could move them around on Photoshop and try out different layouts as I wasn't completely happy with the readability of my rough from last week.



Image 3

The biggest challenge with this image was how I was going to draw the net without it distracting from the sea creatures. I tried using levels on Photoshop to give the creatures depth and variety. The net became a subtle addition rather than taking away from the imagery.


Influences

http://tinyredart.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/petra-brown.html

I looked at different ways people had characterised their animals and how I could achieve this in a sophisticated way without looking too child-like and cartoony. Adding texture with pencils helped me achieve this. Petra Brown's work has a similar feel to what I wanted to bring out in my own characters. 

Evaluation

The biggest lesson I learnt from this brief was the importance of roughing initial designs. I found that the roughs that worked also produced great images and communicated what I wanted them to. The second image could have worked better if I had tried out a few more designs and layouts. The process of scanning images in separately and then using Photoshop was a different way of working than I am used to. I definitely want to explore digital work in the next project as it is something I am very interested in but is new to me. Although I think working practically will always be my first love when it comes to drawing and exploration, I think that a finalised digital image has a professional quality to it and is generally very effective.

Although I am happy with my overall designs, I don't think the second image quite worked. I think this stems from not being happy with the rough in the first place therefore I didn't really know how to move forward in the time I had left. I like the image but I am not convinced by its communication of the intended idea I wanted to convey. The characters almost looks confrontational rather than being happily reunited. I definitely think I need to work more on ideas as my strengths are in the craft of an image rather than in a concept. However, I feel motivated to learn from this and develop these skills in the next brief. Being aware of my strengths and weaknesses will keep me in tune with what I need to focus on most in a project. Sometimes less is more!

No comments:

Post a Comment