Wednesday 28 October 2015

A Day in the Life Week 1

 Brief

To present 3 Illustrations to accompany a given article.

Week One - Nine Roughs

The biggest challenges I faced when producing my initial ideas were..

  • How was I going to communicate my intended idea for each image effectively?
  • What colour scheme could I use that will work for all three final designs?
  • How can I produce something that is aesthetically pleasing whilst bearing in mind the tone of the article.
  • Working within the frames given.



Looking at other practitioners work helped me with compositions and the balance of the image as a whole. Rebecca Chew's work is simple yet effective, I liked the relation of the images to each other and the colour scheme used. Similarly, Josh Cochran's editorial images have a slick and finished feel to them. This inspired me to try and add digital elements to my own work.

 
http://trendland.com/art-direction-by-rebecca-chew/
http://pencilfactory.tumblr.com

Feedback session

After getting feedback from lots of different people within the course it was evident that without text the message I wanted to get across with the first image would not be clear enough. I wanted it to demonstrate the reunion of certain animals as explained in the article. This is something I will have to work on for next week.
The other ideas seemed to work well and it was obvious to everyone I spoke to what I was trying to get across.



Why is colour so difficult to work with?

Setting the tone and atmosphere of a piece can be quickly determined by the colour scheme. I had a quick experiment with colour this week. This always makes me a bit nervous as I feel one of my weaknesses as an Illustrator is choosing colours that will work well together. I was thinking about using a monochrome colour scheme but decided to try something I am not used to. I want to look more into which colours are effective for certain projects and how they relate to one another.


I eventually settled on a Blue/Green/Grey and a pop of Yellow for my colour scheme. I feel that this will tie in well across the three final images and fits nicely with the themes of hope for the future of the natural environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment