Monday 2 April 2018

Roughs 7-12 In Progress

Page 13/14
It took me a while to come up with how exactly to characterise the cowardly lion. As he is mentioned as being the king of the forest I wanted to include the crown, but also make him a smaller character who wasn't intimidating. Because of this I chose to make his mane big and fluffy, making him almost cute - I think this makes more sense within the story.

Page 15/16
I wanted the witch character to be recognisable but also fairly simple. I focused mainly of the shape of the profile and the tone I want that side of the spread to represent. Ideally if I do decide to complete this one, I will focus on the contrast between light and dark.

Page 17/18
This one was a fun scene to tackle. I love the idea of behind able to combine the characters in one image, as well as having them all placed in different positions. I also really enjoy drawing skies, so I might take this one forward as a final spread.

Page 19/20
I had an idea to put the witch's expression in the water after she has been melted. I think this makes the page a bit more interesting, as well as including the feet of all the characters.

Page 21/22
I wanted this page to have a big impact, as it is the only one with the wizard of Oz on it. I pictured him to look like a wise munchkin, so that's the vibe I went for. In my mind he has a green face and is very bright - almost god-like. For that reason I wanted lighting to have a dramatic presence, casting long shadows from the characters and on the walls of the palace. This one could be fun to experiment with also.

Page 23/24
The last few images have been fairly detailed and busy, so I wanted the last double page spread to simply demonstrate the action of Dorothy going home. The shoes are of course an important part of the story and especially because of the change in colour I decided to really look at the detail and magic in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment