Tuesday 13 March 2018

Waterstones - Children's books


I had a quick trip to Waterstones in town to have a look at some picture books. I find it helpful to see what is already out there and where my work could fit in a publishing setting.

The books I took an interest in the most were titled 'The Night Box' by Louise Greig and Ashling Lindsay, 'The Grotlyn' by Benji Davis, 'The Great Paper Caper' by Oliver Jeffers, and 'The Curious Case of the Missing Mammoth' by Ellie Hattie and Karl James Mountford.
The thing that appealed to me the most about these books was the sense of adventure and scenes depicted over a double page spread. In 'The Grotlyn' I also really admired the use of muted colours. This is something I have noticed about my own practice. I tend to shy away from brighter colours initially, and then build up to them once I have created the imagery - this could be to do with building tones, but I think I just prefer using these colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment