Monday 30 November 2015

Shape


Image 1 - Digital
Bow tie & Top hat

I decided to produce each of the three final images using completely different methods. This was so that I could try out and experiment with a variety of media. This image I chose to do digitally using nothing but vector shapes. I actually really enjoyed this way of working, there were limited ways I could place the shapes to form a character. Characterisation was actually easier when using shape as I was forced to eliminate realistic features and replace them with a generalisation however I am not sure I like the final finish too much as I prefer hand made imagery.


Image 2 - Paper-cut
Fancy hat & Shoulder pads

I have always found paper-cutting very therapeutic and knew that I would want to incorporate this into the shape brief. Putting black paper behind the white card was very effective in creating a contrast between the different shapes and how they relate to each other and the negative space surrounding.


Image 3 - Collage
Checked shirt

The colours I used in this piece were a complete accident as pink was the only colour I could find! However, I think this looks striking against the black and white and creates an interesting focus of the image, especially on the shirt pocket. I had a lot of fun placing the different elements as I cut them all out first and then played around with composition.


http://www.brwnpaperbag.com/

I looked at Esthera Preda's worked when researching shape based illustrators. I love the weirdness of her images and the way shapes are repeated and manipulated to create completely out of the ordinary illustrations. This one in particular really made me want to try and make sense of the intention behind the image. A curiosity is something I want an audience to experience when looking at my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment