Thursday 26 November 2015

One Week Book Screen-Printing

Screen-Printing 

I really enjoyed the process of screen printing. We ended up choosing a neon pink and midnight blue paint, this was a great decision as the colours pop and make the overall design really eye-catching.


I actually found screen-printing much easier than I anticipated in the workshop. The hardest bit was probably the preparation of the mesh screens, I was sure something was going to go wrong at this stage but thankfully everything went swimmingly. The effect it gave when the blue and pink layers weren't quite aligned with each other actually works quite well and makes for an interesting print

The only thing about screen-printing is that you cant guarantee a perfect result every time, but there is a handmade quality to the final outcome which I thoroughly enjoy visually.


Problems we came across
  • Cutting the final books on the guillotine was fairly difficult as some of the images were not quite aligned so I couldn't see clearly where the edge of the print should be.
  • Continuity of the print. All the prints are slightly different to each other, however this may also be a positive as it makes each one unique.
  • I would have liked to have done more lead up work but as our schedule was pretty tight we all decided it would be easier to work on separate sheets and then swiftly move on to the final coda trace paper.
I definitely want to experiment with screen-printing more after this experience. I am excited to see how different colours and textures will effect the quality and final outcomes of an image.





No comments:

Post a Comment